You may not be familiar with the existence of good bacteria in the body. In fact, when you hear the word bacteria, all you think of are harmful microorganisms. But then again, there really are good bacteria in the body. These ones are called probiotics.
Probiotics are termed as a substance that contains beneficial microorganisms. These ones work directly to restore the digestive tract balance. They are classified into two major categories namely the lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. Under these categories, there are also different kinds.
More on Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria
Lactobacilli is the kind of probiotic bacteria class that regularly exist in your small intestine, while the one that is found in your colon are known as Bifidobacteria. Majority of probiotic products contain one or more types of bacteria from either or both of these kinds. There are also some probiotic products that have E. coli strains but these are considered very unusual as of the moment.
Different Kinds of Lactobacillus Bacteria
The following are some of the kinds of probiotic lactobacillus bacteria that are usually found in probiotic food and dietary supplements.
- Lactobasillus acidophilus. This is the most popular probiotic bacteria that are incorporated in all probiotic food and dietary supplements. This is also the most widely searched kind of probiotic bacteria.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus. This is a kind of probiotic bacteria that has been gaining a lot of interest because of its ability to treat a lot of ailments due to its GG strain component. There are studies being conducted to back up its usefulness, especially for communicable diseases and allergic situations.
- Lactobacillus bulgaricus. This is considered as a kind of transitory probiotic bacteria because it does not stay in the intestinal panel to develop a camp of bacteria. Relatively it basically goes by the digestive system and departs from your body in the form of stool. As soon as it goes by the digestive tract, advantageous result happens such as: improvement of milk product and protein absorption; and the development of normal antibiotic elements that particularly aim pathogenic bacteria while safeguarding the good bacteria.
- Lactobacillus salivarius. This type of probiotic bacteria has the ability to slow down the development of Helicobacter pylori. The latter is known to take charge in the growth of peptic ulcers.
- Lactobacillus plantarum. This kind of bacteria is considered as a very dominant type in almost normally fermented food. It is useful in obstructing receptor sites for gram negative bacteria and is also considered as an efficient form of antibiotic.
- Lactobacillus casei. This type is usually present in probiotic dairy products like live yogurt. The word casei is actually connected to the milk protein known as casein.
- Lactobacillus sporogenes. This type has the ability to reduce cholesterol levels by as much as 104 points. It can significantly lessen bad cholesterol levels as it slowly but considerably improves your good cholesterol amount.
Kinds of Probiotic Bifidobacteria
For the kinds of probiotic bifidobacteria, you have the following types to consider:
- Bifidobacteria bifidum. This kind of bacteria is considered as one of the chief components of the regular flora in your colon and is the most usual type of bifidobacteria present in most probiotic products.
- Bifidobacteria longum. This is another type of bifidobacteria which is also present in probiotic produces. It has the ability to eradicate the nitrates that are usually obtained from food that we eat.
- Bifidobacteria infantis. This is identified to have an ability to inhibit the activity of omnipresent pathogenic bacteria like E. coli.
Other Kinds of Probiotic Bacteria
Besides the above-mentioned categories for probiotics, you also have other forms to choose from. These ones include the following:
- Streptococcus thermophilus. Similar to L. casei, this microorganism has shown its ability to help individuals recuperate from malnutrition which is the result of instant fasting. It is also considered as an excellent antioxidant.
- Homeostatic Soil Organism (HSO’s). These are life forms that exist normally in soil which is consumed by humans through the food they eat. Majority of these life forms are also transient bacteria which go by through the intestine and they do not develop colonies unlike the bad bacteria.
These twelve distinct types of probiotics render good functions to your system. If you are not sure of what will be good for you among this list though, you may consider consulting your nutritionists about it. After all, you always want to make sure that these good bacteria are really good for your overall health. You just can’t risk yourself to something you are not familiar with.